Monday, August 18, 2008

"R" is for Reservoir- Strawberry Reservoir Camping


We took the kids on one last getaway before school started up to Soldier Creek Campground at Strawberry Reservoir. Now let me just say this- Cam is NOT a big fan of camping. That's actually an understatement! He pretty much hates everything about it! Hates the prep work that goes into getting ready to go. Hates the actual camping. Hates the clean-up. Which is hard for me cause I LOVE it! Always have. Love to get away from the everyday bs & be up in the middle of nowhere. I love the "primitive" camping- the freeze yer butt off during the night, get woke up by the sun blazing through the tent, soak all your clothes with the smell of campfire kind of camping!! But we've got a nice, warm convenient trailer that has a toilet, shower, fridge, microwave, stereo w/surround sound, tv & dvd/vcr! You'd think that would make even Cam like it- but still no! But- since he's such a trooper- he humors me & takes me camping every now & then! (This is our 1st time this year-also our last)The campground we went to wasn't the greatest. Not too many trees, which I prefer. This had more sagebrush. The shores of the lake didn't have any sandy areas for the kids to play on while the adults fished so that kinda sucked too. But they really didn't seem to mind. The kids entertained themselves with trying to catch crawdads (sp?), which they caught many! Nasty little things! They loved it though! Especially loved tormenting the girls with them by secretly putting them on their shoulders when they weren't looking. You gotta love camping fashion- the mismatched, dirty clothes you can't believe you still own, the fuzzy socks with your flip-flops, the hats to hide your hideous hairdo's! I love love love tin foil dinners & dutch oven cooking. We had them both nights! Any guesses on how many pounds of potatoes, carrots, onions, & chicken I chopped up this weekend?? Lots! Luckily, Sonia chopped all the chicken up for me! It was yum!! Everyone loved the dutch oven Apple Crisp! It was stinking cold at night! (Good excuse to cuddle ;0) My favorite part of the whole trip was what is my favorite part of camping= sitting around the campfire & shooting the bull!! I love to put all the kids to bed & have the adults sit & laugh our butts off, tell our deep secrets, reminisce about old times, & share some seriously spooky stories! I loved it & was glad we got away for the weekend! I hope my kids take after me in their love for camping- not Cam!

11 comments:

Jordan said...

Looks like you guys had a good time! I love that Cam doesn't like to camp, especially since niether does Ryan. Maybe you and I and the kids should just go next time! Leave the "high maintenance" boys at home!

Jenny H said...

I have to say I am with Cam...but you know me and my fear of everything.
Ab and Deak love it though - so occasionally (actually only when we're invited since we don't even own a sleeping bag) we will go!

Tami Harris said...

Fun! Fun! I'm glad you had a fun time, you deserved after all the crap you had to deal with right before you left. Hey, maybe Colby's fever came from the squirrel he was playing with...hmm

Ashley said...

So what is with the socks in the flip flops lol!! Looks like fun!!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Ugh! I really don't like to camp - mainly the smell issue which you made reference to:) I did love your blog though, and for one brief moment, I thought about going camping, but quickly remembered who I was...

Sara said...

It sounds so awesome!! Im with you!! I love to camp too...and agree that camp food is the best!!! Glad you had a fun safe trip! Perfect end to the summer! Now Im craving tin foil dinners...

chelon:) said...

i love camping!! i love to sit by the fire and chat... my favorite is the tin foil dinners and getting dirty and not having to worry about it!

Heistermanfamily said...

I love camping hair, socks and flip flops, tacky outfits, and good food. Wish I could've been there! Love ya!

Ashley said...

Hey Nat!
I am making my schedule for shoots when I come that Oct. Tell me again what day you guys are leaving? I was thinking that we probably need to schedule you guys are an afternoon say around 4 so everyone was home from school and work but I a not sure when all your practices and games are for sports and stuff. I can do Wed., Thurs, Frid, afternoons. So let me know!!

Melanie Bingham said...

Very Cute blog! We did our first camping trip of the year as our last summer hurrah as well. Thanks for doing such a great job with sharing time today! You're the best!

Mark said...

I am looking for a place for a family reunion in August of 2009. Are there any places at Strawberry that looked any good? The no trees, no beaches, all sagebrush sounds unappealing.....

Thanks
mbg